Saturday, July 10, 2010

“Even More Valdez” USMC Boot Camp -- Part 11

I would be remiss if I failed to tell this particular story about Drill Instructor Valdez. It’s the one story that doesn’t pertain directly to me. I’m so happy it didn’t, because it was one of the most brutal things done to recruits that I’ve ever heard of.

At night there is always somebody assigned to “fire watch” duty. There are a couple of reasons that this is done, and one of them is extremely valid. If there is a fire or some other emergency, the fire watch wakes everybody up in time to evacuate.

The "platoon" I was assigned to was in direct competition with three other platoons that make up the training "company." The competitions consist of close order drill, rifle range, inspections, physical testing, and practical examinations on several subjects. The training for most of these things is pretty much cut and dry and the drill instructors are closely involved with it. The only part that actually involves some discretionary effort is related to studying for the examinations. There wasn’t enough time to study as a group, so we had to study at night instead of sleeping.

We had just finished a round of exams and our platoon didn’t fare very well on a few subjects. One of the drill instructors noticed that several recruits all did poorly on the exact same exams. So the DI’s started an informal investigation. Apparently one of the recruits (under pressure) assigned to fire watch duty during the late night study sessions, told the DI’s that a small group of recruits had been playing cards instead of studying. Guess what? Yep, it was the same names that drug the entire platoon down with their poor exam results. First off, where did they get a deck of cards? Second, why did the fire watch rat them out? Third, what the heck is going to happen to those poor bastards? We couldn’t imagine what Valdez was going to do, but it would be severe for sure.

That evening the five recruits were called into the duty hut one at a time. The Platoon Commander was on duty but left before the “punishment” commenced. I’m not sure why he left, but I believe it was to ensure that he could deny knowing about it (plausible deniability). As I said the recruits went to the duty hut one at a time. The were asked if they had studied on the nights in question or if they had played cards. I guess they knew the jig was up because they all admitted to it.

Here is where it gets ugly. They made each of them bend over a desk and then beat their thighs and butt with a broom stick. We could hear it happening. Whenever one of them would cry out in pain they were screamed at to shut up.

I clearly saw that when one of them came back his thighs and butt were bleeding. It was something like you’d see in a horror movie. It was brutal. They could barely walk for several days. The DI’s let them stay in the huts until they could move around. They weren’t allowed to go to sick call either. These drill instructors should have gone to jail for what they did. But of course nobody would turn them in, because in those days it wouldn't have done any good.

They all told us that Valdez did most of the beating.

In my time in the Marine Corps I never ran into a former or current drill instructor that didn’t have a mean streak in him. But Valdez was the one of the most sadistic, evil, and demented bastards I’ve ever met in my life. That statement is true to this day. I would have liked to run into him in Vietnam.


To go directly to the next post in this series, click here

To go back to the previous post in this series, click here

5 comments:

  1. I wouldn't think they would put people like Valdez on the front line. I don't think they would last long.If you know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how you were able to take it. I certainly would have broke.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Warren - I know you're not gonna believe this, but when bootcamp was over, most of the sheep end up frigging thanking the DI's!!! If I saw that bastard in Vietnam, I might have shot him...

    Tim - Seriously, my childhood totally prepared me for this. My mom was more violent than most of the DI's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder if they had a way of picking out the drill instructors so they could get the ones who could do such as this.
    If I had know such happened to my son I don't think I could have stood it. He was never in the military so I guess it was a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. dot - They didn't pick them because they were brutal. Some of them were okay. But just like the police force, that job attracted those with control and violence issues. I don't think there's anything wrong with everybody going into the military, it does make a person grow. But it shouldn't have to be like what I went through. But, it was ALL volunteer back then in the marines, so everybody knew what they signed up for...

    ReplyDelete

This blog is word verification free.
IS YOURS?
I love your comments and will do my best to respond to each and every one.